Communication and the Throat Chakra
The throat chakra, also known as the fifth chakra, has its energy center located at the base of the throat and neck region. The color of this chakra is sky blue. The throat chakra allows one the ability to speak and communicate effectively. Its purpose is to take responsibility for one’s own needs. The throat chakra governs the throat, thyroid, trachea, neck vertebrae, mouth, teeth, gums, esophagus, parathyroid, hypothalamus, ears and shoulders. The healthfulness of the throat chakra is vital for how openly and honestly one can express himself or herself in receiving and assimilating information by speaking and knowing only truth.
If one’s throat chakra is in balance one will have no problem expressing oneself in the world. One will be creative, helpful and may be good at offering people advice when asked for advice. When this chakra is in balance one knows what he or she wants out of life and is not afraid to ask for help from others. What one may ask for comes easily with little or no effort because having faith in one’s self and faith in the process works. One is not afraid to express one’s weaknesses and people do respect this when one can speak his or her truth.
The physical dysfunctions of an unbalanced Throat Chakra are:
- Sore throat
- Mouth ulcers
- Swollen glands
- Gum, tooth problems, TMJ and grinding of the teeth
- Thyroid dysfunctions
- Voice problems
- Neck pain and headaches
- Ear infections
The mental and emotional issues of an unbalanced Throat Chakra are:
- Lacking of creating, not being able to create for oneself
- Personal Expression, not able to express how one feels about something
- Addictions of food, drink, smoking and drugs
- Lacking decision making, not able to make good decisions for self, constantly changing one’s mind
- Lacking choices, not able to make and see that there are choices for one’s self, feeling there is no choice at all and feeling stuck
- Criticism of self and others
- Not having faith in self or others
- Lack of authority, does not want to hear or be told what to do
- Speaking untruths, telling and believing in lies
- Fear of public speaking
- Verbally abusive
How to have a balanced healthy Throat Chakra:
- Expressing oneself through chanting, singing, writing, painting, drawing, public speaking, being passionate about speaking out for causes.
- Simple yoga poses, gentle neck rolls side to side, relaxing the jaw, giving the back of the neck a gentle massage.
- Saying daily mantras or affirmations out loud for example, “I speak up for myself easily, I express myself freely and joyously” (examples from Louise Hays).
- Using a journal to write in daily of what you are grateful for
- Listening to meditations for healing of the throat chakra
- Using essential oils of sandalwood, lavender, rose and neroli. A few drops can be placed on a cloth and placed on the back on the neck or head for relief of headaches or to breath in for the sinuses.
- Having blue colored crystals with you or placed under your pillow for example: lapis lazuli, blue lace agate, sodalite, aquamarine, blue kyanite, blue apatite, blue fluorite, and Larimer to name a few.
- Eating foods like sea plants that are rich in iodine which are good for the thyroid. Soups and juices are soothing and are a good source of fluids, as these lubricate the throat. Fresh fruit as in blueberries and other berries are a good source of vitamin C and other anti-oxidants which helps to keep the throat area in good health.
- Drinking 8 glasses of water each day will keep the throat hydrated so you are able to speak, will keep your sinuses clear, and will prevent mouth dryness.
- Wearing blue colored clothing can also open one’s chakra and can help one feel in good health, and aids in speaking in public
When the throat chakra is balanced, one not only feels it, but there are visible signs. One will have more confidence and find oneself to be a more effective communicator. Also, one may find that dreams are more vivid and dream recall is enhanced. One may be much more sensitive to the energies of others as well as energies in the environment. The world is a much better place to live and function in when one’s throat chakra is healthy and in balance.