Stress and the Solar Plexus
The Solar Plexus, which is located between the bottom of the sternum and above the navel, is our “third chakra”. The solar Plexus is the center of our energy system and is half-way between our lower and higher chakras. It is very much like the sun which is the center of energy in our solar system. This chakra’s color is yellow.
What is stress? According to the dictionary, “stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances.” What causes stress? Many different things can cause stress, from physical (such as fear of something dangerous), to emotional (such as worry over your family or job.) Identifying what may be causing you stress is often the first step in learning how to better deal with it.
When we have too much stress in our life our body will react negatively. You may notice that your solar plexus right above your naval will have a “knot” sensation. You can actually feel the knot in that area.
Having constant stress in one’s life can bring on health issues since the stress blocks the flow of good energy between your lower and higher chakras. Some of the effects of stress are:
- Headaches and dizziness
- Panic attacks
- Blurred vision
- High blood pressure
- Susceptibility to infections
- Over-breathing as in asthma
- Excessive sugar in the blood
- Nervous rashes and allergies
- Excessive sweating
- Aching neck muscles
- Over-use of drugs and alcohol
Some major stresses can be caused by giving our energy to others and not being in control of our own life. Someone else controls us like we are their puppet. Others may say “do this; do that; don’t do this; don’t do that; you are not good enough; you cannot do this.” How does this make you feel when you hear those strong statements? Does your stomach clinch up and you feel that knot? When you hear these types of statements each day it can make you tense up which blocks the natural flow of energy in your body which then can cause you major health issues.
Here are some ways to alleviate the stress in your life and allow a good natural flow of energy:
- Change your environment by getting away from the issues or people causing you stress
- Eat healthy foods and drink healthy liquids
- Eat yellow colored fruits and vegetables, for example yellow squashes, yellow apples, yellow onions, bananas, lemons.
- Wear yellow colored clothing
- Use yellow crystals, for example yellow topaz, yellow citrine, yellow labradorite, yellow jasper, yellow quartz. These can be carried or placed under your pillow.
- Use essential oils, for example Clary sage, Juniper, and Geranium. These can be added to your bath water or small drops can be placed on your solar plexus.
- Have a foot bath
- Do meditation with deep breathing and listening to soft playing music
- Walking, dancing or other types of moving exercises that gets your heart rate up
- Laugh and play, as the more you can laugh and play the healthier you will be
- Take up a hobby/do what you like to do
A balanced Solar Plexus would be evidenced by:
- Confidence and Leadership with a can-do attitude
- The ability to see the vision of 'us' and an understanding of what action is required for the greater good instead of a ME attitude
- Being able to turn a dream into a reality
- An awareness of the effects of one’s actions on other people
- Taking responsibility for one’s actions
- Integrity; you say what you do; you walk your talk
When your solar plexus is in balance you will feel good energy coursing through your body, you feel strong and alive, you have the stamina to get the job done and you also have confidence, self-respect as well as respect for others. You enjoy life and you enjoy others around you. No one is controlling you. The power remains inside of you.